Thursday, December 6, 2007


OK, our suspicions were right. Our facilitator, Yuri, called the orphanage where the little 2 1/2 year old is and she does have fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) and two other families had visited her in the past months and declined to take the referral. The other little 4 year old was referred to a couple from Spain this morning. We were relieved b/c we did not think she was healthy either and we didn't want to load up for an 8 hour train ride each way to discover what the medical report revealed anyhow (she had FAS and micro-enchaphaly, etc. in her file).

So, we met with Yuri today and wrote out a letter requesting a second referral clearly spelling out what we're looking for in a child. The current trend has been that families get a child that closely matches their request with minor, correctable health issues on the second referral. But, if you reject the second referral (whether a good one or not), that's your last shot. The expected wait time is 1-3 months. The sticky part is Ukraine is apparently not allowing families to update paperwork any longer which means we would have to travel before March b/c that's when the paperwork starts expiring.

So, we went to the Delta office a few minutes ago and we fly out of Kiev on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. to New York. We have a flight to Atlanta from there, but have to stay the night in ATL and then we head home to Omaha and arrive @ 10:30 a.m. on Sunday.

So...the wait continues. We'll keep you posted on what's up. Back to trying to find what's acceptable to eat and brushing our teeth with bottled water for another day!


Jason, Erica, and Ashton Reed said...

I am so sorry that the referral did not work out for you. We certainly know what you are going through right now and then when you get back home and are bombarded with questions. Your family is consistently in our prayers. If you need to talk, just call or e-mail. When our girls are ready, God will unite us - no matter what, don't lose sight of that. He is faithful!

The Reeds

Dave said...

Wow! You guys are quick! Yeah, we'll wait and see when the girls are ready.

Dave said...

By girls, of course, I mean yours and ours. :-) We're not hauling out of here with twins...I don't think!

hnj said...

Hi kids,

We can't believe that you are having so much trouble. We were certain that they would have your girl ready for you. We are continuing to pray, call us when you get to where you can. We so far haven't been able to try the Skype connection, having trouble finding a wi-fi that will let us connect. Love you bunches, mom 'n Henry

Jamie said...

I am continuing to pray for all of you! I am sad with you that you have not been allowed to meet the child that we are praying for. May you be encouraged as you take each step knowing that you are the fragrance of Christ to God & others. Blessings, Jamie

Justin said...

Dude, take your mind off things, stay an extra day in Atlanta and go listen to a very good speaker Sunday morning in Alpharetta. It's exit 10 off GA 400. Follow the cars.

gwarrick said...

God bless you guys for all you are going through to rescue your little girl. She is going to grow up appreciating so much all that you were willing to sacrifice to have her in your family.

Love & Prayers,
Gary & Cherry

Valerie Calderon said...

We are so sorry to hear this news. Continuing to remember you guys in prayer.


Mrs. Sweetman said...

I am so sorry to hear this. I am thinking of you as you travel home.

Diane Sweetman